Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
In Use As
1800 - 1840
Detached single-bay two-storey rubble stone boat house, c.1820, probably originally gable-fronted with elliptical-headed carriageway to ground floor, and two-bay two-storey side elevations. Renovated, c.1970, possibly with roof altered to accommodate use as store. Shallow pitched roof (possibly originally pitched and remodelled, c.1970, to present form) with replacement felt, c.1970, and timber eaves. Random squared rubble stone walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and replacement timber casement windows, c.1970. Elliptical-headed carriageway with cut-red sandstone voussoirs, and replacement timber double doors, c.1970. Square-headed door opening to first floor side (north) elevation approached by flight of steps with replacement timber panelled door, c.1970. Set back from line of road at foot of cliff with grass verge to front.
This boat house, originally positioned at the harbour front prior to the reclamation of land to accommodate a new road, is of considerable significance for its associations with the coastguard station complex in Dunmore East (22817052/WD-27-17-52), from which it was originally accessed, and similarly for its links with the maritime industry in the locality. Although altered in the late twentieth century, the original form of the composition remains discernible, while the red sandstone dressings to the carriageway produce an appealing textured visual effect in the unrefined rubble stone work. The boat house forms an attractive feature, the streetscape and assimilates well into the surrounding landscape.