Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
In Use As
1930 - 1950
Freestanding single-bay two-storey flat-roofed pilot station, c.1940, on a square plan with single-bay two-storey side elevations, single-bay single-storey flat-roofed end bay to north-east, and single-bay single-storey flat-roofed entrance bay/return to north-west. Refenestrated, c.1990. Flat concrete roofs not visible behind parapets with rendered chimney stack, and iron rainwater goods. Painted cement rendered walls over red brick irregular bond brick construction with chamfered corners to first floor, rendered stringcourses to parapets, and rendered coping. Square-headed window openings with concrete sills. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990, with some openings now blocked-up. Square-headed door openings with glazed timber doors. Set on cliff top with natural grounds to site.
A well-composed pilot station that is of particular significance for its associations with the maritime industry that has traditionally supported much of the economy of Dunmore East. Despite a utilitarian purpose, the Modernist scheme incorporates subtle features, including chamfered corners, which contribute to the architectural character of the composition. However, the replacement of much of the original fittings to the openings with inappropriate modern articles has not enhanced the external expression of the building. The pilot station remains a prominent feature in the locality, dramatically positioned on the top of a cliff, and is a familiar landmark from Dunmore Bay.