Survey Data

Reg No

22817063


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Historical Social Technical


Original Use

Lighthouse


In Use As

Lighthouse


Date

1820 - 1825


Coordinates

269226, 100091


Date Recorded

27/05/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Freestanding single-bay three-stage granite ashlar lighthouse, built 1824, on a polygonal plan comprising tapered fluted shaft with moulded cornice having single-bay single-stage lantern over with ogee-domed capping. Ogee-domed sheet metal-lined capping to lantern with iron weathervane to apex. Granite ashlar walls with fluted motif, moulded cornice, and wrought iron lattice panel railings over. Square-headed window openings with no sills, and fixed-pane iron windows. Square-headed openings to lantern with fixed-pane lights. Set at end of harbour pier. (ii) Attached four-bay single-storey flat-roofed store, c.1875, to north forming flanking bays. Flat tarmacadam roof with concrete coping having iron railings over. Coursed cut-stone walls. Square-headed window opening with stone sill. Now boarded-up. Square-headed door openings with timber boarded doors.

Appraisal

An elegant lighthouse built to designs prepared by Alexander Nimmo (1783 - 1832), forming a prominent landmark in the harbour area of Dunmore East. Taking the distinctive form of a Doric column, the fluted detailing considerably enhances the architectural value of the composition, while attesting to very high quality stone masonry. Well maintained, the lighthouse presents an early aspect with important salient features and materials intact. The survival of a range of original mechanisms to the interior is also of significance, and identifies the technical engineering importance of the site.