Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
Garda station/constabulary barracks
1800 - 1840
End-of-terrace three-bay two-storey house, c.1820, retaining early fenestration with single-bay single-storey lean-to recessed end bay to north-east. Originally in part use as post office. Now in use as Garda Síochána Satation. Pitched slate roof (lean-to to end bay) with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, rendered coping, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. 2/2 timber sash windows with 1/1 timber sash windows to end bay. Square-headed door opening in round-headed recess with rendered block-and-start surround, and replacement glazed timber panelled door, c.1970. Square-headed door openings to rear (south-east) elevation with rendered surround to one opening, and replacement glazed timber panelled doors, c.1970, having overlights. Road fronted.
A pleasant, well-composed, modest-scale house retaining most of its original form and massing, together with important salient features and materials, which enhance the historic quality of the site. The house forms an appealing feature in the streetscape of Post Office Lane, terminating a terrace of houses of similar appearance, and contributing to the stepped roofline of the terrace as it follows the incline of a hill.