Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1890 - 1910
Detached single-bay two-storey gable-fronted coastguard station, c.1900, on a corner site with segmental-headed carriageway to ground floor, and two-bay two-storey side elevation to south-west. Extensively renovated and extended, 2001, comprising single-bay two-storey gable-fronted recessed end bay to north-east with square-headed carriageway to ground floor, and single-bay single-storey entrance bay to south-east. Pitched (gable-fronted) roofs (forming M-profile) with replacement slate, 2001, red clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, timber bargeboards, and cast-iron rainwater goods on timber eaves. Mono-pitch slate roof to entrance bay with square rooflight, and cast-iron rainwater goods on timber eaves. Unpainted replacement cement roughcast walls, 2001, with red brick quoins. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, red brick block-and-start surrounds, and replacement 2/2 timber sash windows, 2001 (some possibly original). Segmental-headed carriageway with tooled cut-limestone block-and-start surround, and timber boarded double doors. Square-headed carriageway to additional block with iron rolling door. Square-headed door opening to entrance bay with tongue-and-groove timber panelled door. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete brick cobbled footpath along side (south-west) elevation.
An attractive, modest-scale building of particular significance in the locality for its associations with the maritime industry in Dunmore East that has traditionally supported the economy of the locality. The use of red brick and cut-limestone dressings serves to enliven the external appearance of the composition. Sympathetically restored and extended, the building presents an early character, and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape value of Post Office Lane and Dock Road.