Categories of Special Interest
1840 - 1850
Terraced three-bay two-storey over basement house with dormer attic, c.1845, retaining early fenestration with three-bay three-storey rear (north-east) elevation having single-bay single-storey flat-roofed projecting porch to left ground floor. Renovated, c.1995, with one opening remodelled to accommodate commercial use. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, square rooflights, rendered coping, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Flat roof to porch not visible behind parapet. Painted rendered walls with moulded rendered coping to parapet to porch. Square-headed window openings (one remodelled, c.1995) with stone sills. 6/6 timber sash windows with some replacement timber casement windows, c.1995, to rear (north-east) elevation including to remodelled opening. Round-headed door opening with cut-stone block-and-start surround having keystone, and replacement glazed timber panelled door, c.1995, having overlight. Square-headed door opening to porch with glazed timber panelled door. Set back from line of road with concrete brick cobbled forecourt forming span over open basement having random rubble stone boundary wall, and enclosed garden to rear (north-east) with random rubble stone boundary wall having cut-stone piers, and wrought iron double gates.
A well-composed, middle-size house, built as one of a pair, which retains most of its original form and massing, despite a subsequent change of use. The retention of early fittings to most of the openings in particular enhances the historic quality of the composition. The house, together with the second in the pair (22817047/WD-27-17-47) forms an attractive feature in the streetscapes of Dock Road and Island Road, and presents a prominent landmark from Dunmore Bay.