Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
End-of-terrace four-bay two-storey house, c.1850, on a triangular plan retaining original fenestration with shopfront to right ground floor. Now in use as clubhouse. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered coping, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.2000, on rendered eaves. Painted roughcast walls with full-height rendered piers supporting rendered stepped cornice, and rendered stepped surround to gable to side (south) elevation forming 'pediment'. Square-headed window openings in bipartite arrangement with stone sills. 1/1 timber sash windows with fixed-pane timber window to side (south) elevation. Rendered shopfront to right ground floor with piers, square-headed window opening in bipartite arrangement having stone sill and 1/1 timber sash windows, square-headed door opening with three cut-stone steps, moulded rendered surround, and replacement timber panelled door, c.2000, with side panel, and fascia over having cornice. Road fronted on a wedge-shaped site at junction of three roads with shallow concrete footpath to front.
A very well-composed modest-scale house that successfully negotiates a constrained site at the junction of three roads. The house is also distinguished by the fine rendered detailing throughout, including a shopfront of robust form. Very well maintained, the house retains its original form and fabric, and contributes significantly to the streetscape value of Upper Branch Road, Queen's Street, and Pond Road.