Categories of Special Interest
1860 - 1865
Semi-detached three-bay two-storey house, built 1862, on an L-shaped plan retaining original aspect comprising two-bay two-storey block with single-bay single-storey flat-roofed porch to right ground floor, and single-bay two-storey gabled projecting end bay to right (south-west). One of a pair. Hipped (shared) slate roof (pitched to projecting end bay) with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on timber eaves having consoles to gable. Flat roof to porch not visible behind parapet. Unpainted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoins to corners. Painted rendered walls to porch with rendered band, and moulded rendered cornice to parapet having rendered coping. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and 2/2 timber sash windows. Round-headed window opening to porch in shouldered square-headed recess with cut-stone sill, and fixed-pane timber window. Square-headed door opening in shouldered square-headed recess with two cut-stone steps, and glazed timber panelled door. Set back from line of road with gravel forecourt having pair of cut-stone piers with stringcourses, moulded cornices, gabled capping, cast-iron gate, and section of cast-iron flanking railings.
A well-composed middle-size house, built as one of a pair (with 22816118/WD-26-16-118), which has been very well maintained to present an early aspect with the original form and fabric intact. The house, together with the second in the pair, forms an attractive element of Upper Branch Road, and contributes significantly to the visual appeal of the streetscape.