Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
1840 - 1850
Detached two-bay single-storey Quaker Meeting House, c.1845, on a T-shaped plan retaining original aspect comprising single-bay single-storey nave with single-bay single-storey 'transepts' to north-east and to south-west. Now disused. Pitched (gable-fronted) and hipped slate roofs on a T-shaped plan with clay ridge tiles, lead flashing to valleys, and cast-iron rainwater goods on overhanging moulded timber eaves (forming 'open-bed pediment' to gable with consoles). Unpainted rendered walls with rendered quoins to corners. Grouped (three) round-headed window openings with shared cut-limestone sill, moulded rendered surrounds, and 3/2 timber sash windows. Round-headed door opening with moulded rendered panelled surround having keystone, timber panelled doubled doors, and decorative overlight. Set back from line of road in own grounds with gateway to north-west comprising pair of unpainted rendered panelled piers with moulded cornices and gabled coping, wrought iron double gates with spear-head finials, and random rubble stone boundary wall to perimeter of site.
A fine, modest-scale building of reserved appearance that retains its original form and massing, together with most of the original fabric. The building is of initial significance having been built as a place of worship for the Society of Friends, and attests to the once-prolific Quaker community in Tramore. Now disused, the building remains an important element of the architectural heritage of the town, enhancing the streetscape quality of Upper Branch Road.