Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
1850 - 1855
Detached three-bay two-storey yellow brick Elizabethan Revival-style railway station with attic, opened 1853, retaining most original fenestration comprising single-bay two-storey central block with three-bay single-storey flat-roofed arcaded entrance bay to ground floor, single-bay two-storey curvilinear gabled projecting flanking bays, two-bay two-storey side elevations having single-bay two-storey projecting bay to north-east, and four-bay two-storey rear (south-east) elevation comprising two-bay two-storey main block with two-bay single-storey flat-roofed arcaded porch to ground floor, and single-bay two-storey gabled projecting flanking bays. Closed, 1961. Subsequently in part-commercial use. Burnt, 2002. Now disused with some openings blocked-up. Pitched slate roofs with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks (some on T-shaped plans), cut-stone coping to gables, and cast-iron rainwater goods on cut-stone consoles. Flat roofs to porches not visible behind parapets. Yellow brick Flemish bond walls with cut-limestone dressings including quoins to corners, cut-stone stringcourse to parapet to porch on consoles with cut-stone coping to parapet, and cut-stone coping to curvilinear gables. Painted rendered walls to rear (south-east) elevation with cut-limestone dressings including quoins to corners, cut-stone stringcourse to first floor on consoles (extending to form coping to parapet to porch), round-headed recessed niches to gables with chamfered 'block-and-start' surrounds, and cut-stone coping to gables. Square-headed window openings (most in bipartite arrangement) with cut-limestone chamfered flush sills, cut-limestone chamfered surrounds, and hood mouldings over. 4/4 timber sash windows. Round-headed window openings to gables with cut-limestone chamfered 'block-and-start' surrounds, and fixed-pane timber fittings. Pointed segmental-headed openings forming arcade to entrance bay with cut-limestone piers having chamfered corners, and cut-limestone voussoirs. Square-headed door opening to front (north-west) elevation with cut-limestone chamfered block-and-start surround, tongue-and-groove timber panelled door, and overlight. Shouldered square-headed door opening to projecting bay to north-east with cut-limestone block-and-start surround, and tongue-and-groove timber panelled door. Pair of shallow segmental-headed openings to porch to rear (south-east) elevation with cut-limestone piers having chamfered corners. Now blocked-up with painted render over. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A very fine substantial railway station, built by the Waterford and Tramore Railway Company to a design attributable to Sir John McNeill (c.1793 - 1880). Of initial importance for its contribution to the development of Tramore as a Victorian seaside resort in the mid to late nineteenth century, the railway station survives as the last reminder of a once-expansive complex in the town (archival images dating from the late nineteenth century illustrate a number of ancillary structures including engine houses, and so on). Constructed in yellow brick with fine cut-limestone work dressings, the building presents an appealing polychromatic and textured visual effect. The distinctive curvilinear gables, arcaded porches, and bipartite window openings serve to enhance the architectural quality of the design, and the building forms an elegant feature in the townscape. Long disused, and subsequently damaged by fire, the building nevertheless retains most of its original form and massing, together with substantial quantities of the original fabric.