1840 - 1860
Semi-detached three-bay two-storey over part-raised basement house, c.1850, retaining some original fenestration. Renovated, c.1875, with shopfront inserted to left ground floor. Extended, c.1900, comprising two-bay single-storey over basement wing to right (south-west). Renovated and extended, c.1975, comprising two-bay single-storey over basement flat-roofed return to south-east. Extensively renovated, c.2000. Now entirely in residential use. One of a pair. Hipped (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.2000, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, sproketed eaves, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.2000, on replacement uPVC eaves, c.2000. Pitched artificial slate roof to wing with clay ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods on timber eaves. Flat felt roof to return with plastic rainwater goods on timber eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered channelled pier to end. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.2000, with some original 3/6 timber sash windows to basement, and timber casement windows to wing. Elliptical-headed door opening with three steps having wrought iron railings, moulded rendered surround, glazed timber panelled door with sidelights on timber panels having awning box over with wrought iron brackets, and decorative overlight. Rendered shopfront, c.1875, to left ground floor with inscribed pilasters, replacement timber casement display window, c.1975, glazed timber panelled door, and fascia over having moulded cornice. Set back from line of road with sections of wrought iron railings to front having cast-iron colonette pier, and wrought iron gate.
An appealing, well-proportioned house, built as one of a pair (with 22816097/WD-26-16-97), which retains most of its original form and massing, together with some of the original fabric, including the fittings to the door opening and some fenestration to the basement area. Of particular interest is the fine shopfront, which is of considerable artistic design merit, and which is indicative of high quality local craftsmanship. However, systematic renovation works over the course of the late twentieth century threaten the historic and visual appeal of the site.