Categories of Special Interest
1860 - 1870
Terraced three-bay two-storey house, c.1865, retaining some early fenestration with single-bay single-storey canted oriel window to first floor. Extensively renovated, c.1990, with replacement shopfront inserted to right ground floor. Now disused to right ground floor. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, rendered coping, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills (moulded rendered base to canted oriel window). Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990, retaining one early 4/4 timber sash window. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1990, to right ground floor with pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, glazed timber panelled double doors, and fascia over having consoles. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
An appealing, modest-scale house incorporating features typical of the period of construction, including a canted oriel window, which enhance the architectural quality of the composition. With the exception of a shopfront, the house retains most of its original form, although the historic quality has been eroded by the replacement of most of the original fittings with inappropriate modern articles. Nevertheless, the house remains an important element of the streetscape, the oriel window identifying the site in the terrace.