Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1880
Semi-detached three-bay two-storey house, c.1875, retaining original fenestration with single-bay two-storey canted bay window to left, three-bay two-storey side elevation to south-west, and two-bay two-storey lower return to north-west. Renovated, c.1900, with single-bay single-storey projecting glazed porch/conservatory added to side (south-west) elevation having canted corners. One of a pair forming part of a group of four. Hipped (shared) slate roof behind parapet (pitched to return) with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Hipped glazed roof to porch/conservatory in timber frame with canted corners. Painted rendered walls with moulded rendered cornice having zinc-lined blocking course over to parapet. Red brick English Garden Wall bond plinth wall to porch/conservatory with cut-limestone quoins. Square-headed window openings (some round-headed window openings to return) with stone sills. 1/1, 2/1 and 2/2 timber sash windows. Square-headed openings to porch/conservatory with timber panelled door, and fixed-pane timber lights on cut-limestone sill having casement sections. Set back from line of road in own grounds with front (south-east) elevation fronting away from road having landscaped grounds to front, section of decorative cast-iron railings to side (south-west) elevation with cast-iron gate, and rear (north-west) elevation fronting on to road.
An attractive, well-composed middle-size house, built as one of a pair (with 22816054/WD-26-16-54) forming part of a group of four (with 22816056 – 7/WD-26-16-56 – 7), which retains most of its original form and historic fabric. The house incorporates a number of details typical of the period of construction, including a canted bay window, a variety of profiles to the window openings, and reserved Classical detailing. The additional porch/conservatory serves to enhance the visual appeal of the site. The house, together with the remainder in the group, forms an appealing element of the townscape, and attests to the development of Tramore as a Victorian seaside resort in the mid to late nineteenth century.