Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social
In Use As
1820 - 1825
Detached two-bay single-storey single-cell Board of First Fruits Church of Ireland church, built 1822, with single-bay three-stage entrance tower to south on a square plan. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, cut-stone coping, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Roof to tower not visible behind parapet. Unpainted rendered walls with cut-stone dressings to gables forming ‘pediments’, and unpainted rendered dressings to tower including stringcourses, full-height piers to upper stages having battlemented parapet with cut-stone dressings, and cut-stone coping. Pointed-arch window openings to nave with stone sills, and fixed-pane leaded stained glass windows. Square-headed blind openings to second stage to tower with cut-stone sills. Pointed-arch openings to top (bell) stage to tower with stone sills, and louvered panel fittings. Pointed-arch door opening to tower with cut-stone surround, tongue-and-groove timber panelled door, and overpanel. Full-height interior with limestone flagged floor, carved timber pews, timber wainscoting, carved timber pulpit (c.1885), carved timber communion railing to altar, cut-stone font, dated 1904, and plasterwork cornice to ceiling. Set back from road in own grounds with random rubble stone boundary wall to perimeter of site having cut-stone piers. (ii) Graveyard to site with various cut-stone grave markers, c.1825 - present.
A well-composed, modest-scale church, the form and massing of the nave and tower identifying a standard plan advocated by the Board of First Fruits (fl. c.1711 – 1833). Very well maintained, the church presents an early aspect with important salient features and materials intact, both to the exterior and to the interior. Of particular artistic design interest are the delicate stained glass panels to the window openings, while some cut-stone markers to the grounds are indicative of high quality craftsmanship. The church forms an important focal point in the centre of Annestown, identified by the slender spire, and integrates well with the modest quality of the built heritage of the locality.