Categories of Special Interest
1775 - 1780
Detached five-bay two-storey coach house, built 1776, with pair of shallow segmental-headed carriageways to right ground floor. Renovated and part refenestrated, c.1975, with openings remodelled to left ground floor. Hipped slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Unpainted roughcast lime rendered walls over random rubble stone construction with section of painted replacement cement render, c.1975, to right ground floor. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and red brick dressings. Replacement timber casement windows, c.1975, with some openings now blocked-up with exposed concrete block. Series of lunette window openings to first floor rear (west) elevation with stone sills, and timber fittings. Square-headed door opening with tongue-and-groove timber panelled door. Shallow segmental-headed carriageways to right ground floor with replacement tongue-and-groove timber panelled double doors, c.1975, having sidelights, and spoked fanlights. Square-headed opening remodelled, c.1975, to left ground floor with replacement concrete lintel, c.1975, and replacement sheet-metal double doors, c.1975. Set back from road in grounds shared with The Hall with concrete forecourt.
A well-proportioned coach house that, despite alterations in the late twentieth century, retains some semblance of its original form and early character. Classical elements, including a series of lunette window openings, significantly enhance the architectural value of the composition. The building is particular significance for its associations with The Hall, contributing to the group and setting qualities of the site.