Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
In Use As
1810 - 1830
(i) Detached three-bay two-storey Regency-style house, c.1820, retaining original fenestration with diastyle in antis Doric portico to centre. Extended, c.1970, comprising single-bay single-storey end bay to north-east. Reroofed, c.1995. Hipped roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1995, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.1995, on overhanging timber eaves. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and 6/6 timber sash windows. Square-headed door opening behind cut-stone diastyle in antis Doric portico having corresponding pilasters, frieze, moulded cornice, and shallow blocking course. Glazed timber panelled door with sidelights. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Set back from road in own grounds with gravel forecourt, and landscaped grounds to site. (ii) Detached three-bay single-storey gate lodge, c.1820, to south-west. Now disused. Hipped slate roof with clay ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods on overhanging timber eaves. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings in shallow segmental-headed recessed with stone sills, and louvered timber shutter fittings. Square-headed door opening with timber panelled door. (iii) Gateway, c.1820, to south-west comprising pair of ashlar piers with capping, wrought iron double gates, and broken coursed squared rubble stone flanking walls having cut-stone coping.
An attractive, well-proportioned, house forming the centrepiece of a substantially-intact, middle-size land holding. The house is identified by distinctive features characteristic of the Regency period, including the reserved Classically-derived detailing, and the overhanging eaves, all of which enhance the architectural value of the composition. Well maintained, the house presents an early aspect with much of the original form intact, together with a number of important salient features and materials. An attendant gate lodge, although apparently disused, presents an historic aspect, and contributes positively to the group and setting qualities of the site. A pleasant gateway of simple design distinction enhances the visual appeal of the street scene. The estate is of particular importance in the locality, having been occupied by Robert Shaw (n. d.), manager of the nearby industrial complex, in the nineteenth century.