Categories of Special Interest
1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay five-storey house, c.1800. Extensively renovated, c.2000, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. One of a terrace of three. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.2000. Replacement timber shopfront, c.2000, to ground floor with pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows, glazed timber door with overlight, and fascia over having consoles and dentilated cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house, built as one of a terrace of three identical houses (including 22504073, 74/WD-5632-22-74, 73), is an attractive and well-proportioned substantial building of pronounced vertical massing. Although the original form remains intact, extensive renovation works have led to the loss of most of the original fabric, while a replacement shopfront is of little inherent artistic design merit. Nevertheless, the house, together with the remainder of the terrace, forms an important and imposing feature in the streetscape of The Parade, rising above the surrounding buildings.