Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1865 - 1870
Group of four freestanding cast-iron gas lamp standards, dated 1869, comprising acanthus-detailed shafts on profiled pedestals having decorative iron work over, and gas lamp holders on hexagonal plans with moulded capping. Converted to electricity, 1900. Road fronted on stone flagged footpath.
An important group of early surviving mass-produced cast-iron work, which is of artistic interest for the decorative quality of the foliate detailing, and of technical interest for the original intended purpose as gas lamps. Very well maintained, the group forms an important feature in the streetscape of The Mall.