Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay three-storey over part-raised basement house, c.1820. Refenestrated, c.1870. extensively renovated, c.1995, to accommodate use as offices. One of a terrace of three. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stacks, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.1995, on rendered eaves. Unpainted replacement cement rendered walls, c.1995, with rendered quoins. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. Replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1870. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1995, to top floor. Round-headed door opening approached by seven cut-stone steps with wrought iron railings, timber doorcase, timber panelled door and decorative fanlight. Set back from line of road with sections of wrought iron railings to front having foliate finials.
A substantial house of balanced proportions, built as one of a terrace of three identical houses. The house retains its original form, together with some early fittings to the openings. However, the replacement render, together with the inappropriate fittings to the top floor have not had a positive impact on the visual appeal of the house. Nevertheless, the house, together with the remainder in the terrace (22504495 - 6/WD-5623-22-500 - 499), remains an important formal feature in the streetscape, while the early wrought iron railings emphasise the historic quality of the site.