Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay three-storey over part-raised basement house, c.1820, retaining some original fenestration. Renovated and mostly refenestrated, c.1870. Now in use as apartments. One of a terrace of three. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. Replacement 4/4 timber sash windows, c.1870, retaining original 3/6 timber sash windows to top floor. Round-headed door opening approached by seven cut-stone steps with wrought iron railings, rendered pilaster surround, c.1870, timber doorcase, timber panelled door, and decorative fanlight having moulded rendered archivolt. Set back from line of road with sections of wrought iron railings to front having foliate finials.
A substantial house of balanced proportions, built as one of a terrace of three identical houses. Well maintained, the house retains its original form and early character, together with fittings of two periods to the window openings. The later rendered doorcase is also a distinguishing feature of the composition. The house, together with the remainder in the terrace (22504497, 5/WD-5623-22-500, 498), forms an attractive formal feature in the streetscape, while the early wrought iron railings emphasise the historic quality of the site.