Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Architectural Historical Social
Church hall/parish hall
1855 - 1860
Attached four-bay two-storey church hall, dated 1857. In use as clubhouse, 1893. Extended, 1906, comprising five-bay two-storey Gothic-style entrance block to north-west on a triangular plan with single-bay two-storey gabled advanced entrance bay. Part refenestrated, c.1985. Now disused. Pitched slate roofs (behind parapet to entrance block) with clay ridge tiles, rendered and cut-stone chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Random rubble stone walls to original block with unpainted rendered section to first floor. Broken coursed rusticated snecked limestone walls to entrance block with cut-stone dressings including quoins, stringcourses (forming hood mouldings to some openings to first floor), cut-stone plaque, cut-stone date stone/plaque to gable, and cut-stone coping to parapet. Square-headed window openings to original block with replacement concrete sills, c.1985, and replacement fixed-pane timber windows, c.1985. Square-headed window openings to entrance block (arranged in pairs and groups of three) with cut-stone chamfered sills, and block-and-start surrounds having chamfered reveals. 1/1 timber sash windows with fixed-pane overlights. Pointed-arch door opening with cut-stone block-and-start surround, and tongue-and-groove timber panelled double doors. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
An attractive, compact building of two identifiable periods of construction, the original block having been designed as a utilitarian structure of functional appearance, the Gothic appearance of the later building providing prominence in the streetscape of Parnell Street. The construction of the later block reveals high quality stone masonry, particularly to the fine detailing. Well maintained, the building retains its original form and character, together with important original salient features to the entrance block.