Categories of Special Interest
1820 - 1840
Terraced four-bay three-storey house, c.1830, retaining original fenestration to upper floors. Renovated and part refenestrated, c.1880, with rendered façade enrichments added. Subsequently in use as guesthouse. Now disused. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on overhanging timber eaves. Unpainted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoined piers. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and moulded rendered surrounds, c.1880, to ground floor having entablatures on consoles. 3/6 and 6/6 timber sash windows to upper floors with replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1880, to ground floor. Square-headed door opening with two cut-stone steps having mosaic-tiled panel, cast-iron bootscraper, timber doorcase with decorative consoles, timber panelled door and overlight. Road fronted with sections of wrought iron railings to front.
An attractive, well-proportioned house, built as part of a scheme involving a second house immediately to north-east. Although now disused, the house retains its original form and character, together with important early and original salient features and materials. The later rendered detailing, together with the mosaic-tiled panel, is of some artistic merit. The house, together with the second in the group (22504399/WD-5632-22-386), is an important component of the streetscape, contributing considerably to the historic character of the terrace.