Categories of Special Interest
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c. 1840. Reroofed, c.1965. Renovated and refenestrated, c.1990. One of a terrace of four. Pitched roof with replacement fibre-cement, c.1965, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered stepped eaves. Unpainted replacement cemented rendered, ruled and lined walls, c.1990, with rendered channelled piers. Square-headed window openings with limestone sills. Replacement aluminium casement windows, c.1990. Round-headed door opening with three-cut-limestone steps, moulded render surround, replacement timber panelled door, c.1985, and spoked fanlight. Road fronted with section of wrought iron railings to front on cut-limestone plinth.
This house, built as one of a terrace of four identical houses, is an attractive and well-proportioned substantial composition that retains its original balanced form. However, the inappropriate replacement fittings to the openings do not enhance the visual appeal of the building. The house, together with the remainder of the terrace (22504393 - 5/WD-5632-22-392 - 390), forms an important component of the streetscape, and the survival of the original iron railings contributes to the historic character of the group.