Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1830, retaining some original fenestration. Part refenestrated, c.1880. Renovated, c.1955, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Reroofed and renovated, c.1980. Now disused to upper floors. Pitched roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1980, clay ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoins to one end. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. 3/6 timber sash windows to top floor with replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1880, to first floor. Round-headed door opening with replacement glazed timber panelled door, c.1880, and overlight. Rendered shopfront, c.1955, to ground floor with pilasters, replacement fixed-pane timber display window, c.1990, in square-headed recess, replacement glazed timber door, c.1990, and rendered fascia over having moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A modest-scale, late-Georgian house, which retains most of its original form to the upper floors, together with some important early salient features and materials. The shopfront, which has been modelled on a traditional Irish type, has been installed in keeping with the original integrity of the design, and enhances the visual appeal of the composition at street level. The house is an important component of the streetscape, and contributes to the historic character of The Mall.