Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1800
End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey over part-raised basement red brick house with dormer attic, c.1790, on a corner site retaining some original fenestration with two-bay three-storey side elevation to south-west having two-bay three-storey return to south-east. Renovated, c.1965, with interior remodelled. Part refenestrated, c.1990. Now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, rendered coping, and replacement aluminium rainwater goods, c.1965, on moulded red brick eaves. Red brick Flemish bond wall to front (north-west) elevation. Unpainted rendered walls to remainder. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and replacement red brick 'voussoirs', c.1990. 6/6 and 9/6 timber sash windows to front (north-west) elevation. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990, to remainder. Round-headed door opening approached by seven cut-stone steps having wrought iron railings, timber Composite doorcase, timber panelled door, and overlight with moulded rendered archivolt. Set back from line of road on a corner site with sections of wrought iron railings and stone flagged footpath to front.
An attractive, substantial house of balanced Georgian proportions, which retains its original form and much of its early character to the front (north-west) elevation. The house retains important salient features and materials, including early fenestration and an attractive doorcase of some design merit. Later renovation works to the side (south-west) and rear (south-east) elevations have deteriorated the historic character of those portions of the house. The house forms part of a compact group of four terraced houses of sophisticated, formal appearance and similar period of construction, and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape value of The Mall.