Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1770 - 1790
Terraced three-bay three-storey over part-raised basement red brick house with dormer attic, c.1780. Extensively renovated, c.1880, with render façade enrichments added and dormer attic remodelled. Now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, rendered coping, shallow barrel felt roofs, c.1880, to dormer attic windows, timber bargeboards, and cast-iron rainwater goods on moulded rendered eaves. Red brick Flemish bond walls with moulded rendered band, c.1880, to eaves over red brick construction. Square-headed window openings with rendered dressings, c.1880, including moulded sills on consoles having profiled aprons, moulded surrounds to ground and to first floor having keystones, and entablatures extending to top floor into panels. Replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1880. Round-headed window openings to dormer attic with replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1880. Round-headed door opening approached by flight of five stone steps having wrought iron railings with timber Composite doorcase having flanking Composite pilasters, replacement timber panelled door, c.1880, and decorative fanlight with moulded rendered archivolt. Set back from line of road with sections of wrought iron railings and stone flagged footpath to front.
An attractive, substantial house of balanced Georgian proportions, which retains its original form and much of its early character. Later renovation works, including the rendered dressings to the openings, have had a positive impact on the external appearance of the house and attest to high quality local craftsmanship. The house forms part of a compact group of four terraced houses of sophisticated, formal appearance and similar period of construction, and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape value of The Mall, distinguished by the barrel profile to the dormer attic windows.