Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1750 - 1780
End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey over part-raised basement house with dormer attic, c.1765, on a corner site. Extensively renovated, c.1865, with rendered façade enrichments added. Extended, c.1965, comprising two-bay two-storey flat-roofed return to south-east. Part refenestrated, c.1990. Now in use as offices. Hipped slate roof with flat felt section to ridge, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, flat felt roofs to dormer attic windows, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Flat felt roof to return. Painted rendered wall to front (north-west) elevation with rendered quoins. Unpainted rendered walls to remainder. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills, and moulded rendered shouldered surrounds, c.1865, having entablatures to ground floor on consoles. Replacement 2/1 timber sash windows, c.1865. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990, to rear (south-east) elevation and to return. Round-headed door opening approached by flight of five stone steps having wrought iron railings with rendered panelled surround, c.1865, replacement timber panelled door, c.1990, and overlight having moulded rendered archivolt with keystone. Set back from line of road on a corner site with sections of wrought iron railings and stone flagged footpath to front.
An appealing, substantial house of balanced Georgian proportions with later rendered dressings producing a Victorian visual effect. The house forms part of a compact group of four terraced houses of sophisticated, formal appearance and similar period of construction. Well maintained, the house retains its original form and early character to the primary road (north-west) elevation, and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape value of The Mall.