Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1810, on a corner site with four-bay three-storey side elevation to west. Refenestrated, c.1885. Renovated, c.1985, with replacement shopfronts inserted to ground floor. Now in use as apartments to upper floors. Hipped and pitched slate roof on an L-shaped plan with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, square rooflights, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoins to corner. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. Replacement 2/2 timber sash windows, c.1885, with cantilevered iron balcony, c.1985, to openings to top floor side (west) elevation. Round-headed door opening to side (west) elevation with replacement glazed timber door, c.1985, sidelights and overlight. Replacement shopfronts, c.1985, to ground floor with fixed-pane aluminium display windows, glazed aluminium doors, and timber fascias over. Road fronted on a corner site with limestone flagged footpath to front.
An elegantly proportioned Georgian house, which retains its original form to the upper floors, together with important early-surviving salient features and materials. However, the replacement shopfronts to ground floor, which have involved the remodelling of most of the openings to that portion, have not had a positive impact on the external appearance of the house. Nevertheless, the house remains an important component of Parade Quay, occupying a prominent corner site and contributing to the historic character of the streetscape.