Categories of Special Interest
1800 - 1820
Terraced four-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1810. Refenestrated, c.1885. Renovated, c.1910, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Reroofed, c.1985. Pitched roof with replacement slate, c.1985, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, square rooflights, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with moulded rendered sills. Replacement 2/2 timber sash windows, c.1885. Timber shopfront, c.1910, to ground floor with fluted Ionic pilasters on panelled pedestals, fixed-pane timber display windows, glazed timber doors with overlights, and timber fascia over having consoles and moulded cornice. Road fronted with limestone flagged footpath to front.
An appealing, substantial Georgian house of balanced proportions, which retains its historic integrity and appearance. The house retains many important salient features and materials. Of particular interest is the shopfront to ground floor (accommodating two separate commercial units), which is of artistic merit, and which incorporates Classically-derived motifs. The house occupies a prominent site in Parade Quay, and contributes to the historic character of the streetscape.