Survey Data

Reg No

22504114


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Artistic Architectural


Date

1760 - 1790


Coordinates

261059, 112445


Date Recorded

10/07/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

End-of-terrace four-bay three-storey double-pile house with dormer attic, c.1775, possibly originally two separate two-bay three-storey houses. Renovated and refenestrated, c.1875, with façade enrichments added. Renovated, c.1900, with pubfront inserted to ground floor. Part refenestrated, c.1975. Pitched slate roof behind parapet with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, square rooflights, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered, ruled and lined wall to front (north) elevation with rendered façade enrichments, c.1875, including channelled piers, moulded cornice, and rendered coping to parapet having urn finials and eagle statuary. Unpainted rendered walls to remainder. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, cast-iron balconettes, c.1875, to first floor having entablatures over on consoles, and moulded rendered surrounds to top floor. Replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1875, to front (north) elevation with replacement aluminium casement windows, c.1975, to remainder. Segmental-headed door opening to side (east) elevation with panelled pilaster surround, replacement timber panelled door, c.1900, sidelights, and fanlight having moulded archivolt. Timber pubfront, c.1900, to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows in bipartite round-headed arrangement having shared colonettes, timber panelled double doors (with glazed timber panelled responsive internal doors), and timber fascia over having decorative consoles and moulded cornice. Road fronted with limestone flagged footpath to front.

Appraisal

An attractive Georgian building, possibly originally two separate houses, which was subsequently reordered to present a Victorian front. Well maintained, the front (north) elevation presents an early aspect, with important salient features intact. Of particular importance is the timber pubfront to ground floor, which is of considerable design merit. The building is an integral component of Parade Quay, contributing to the historic and diverse appearance of the streetscape.