Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Artistic Architectural Historical Social

Original Use


Historical Use


In Use As

Church hall/parish hall


1800 - 1820


261060, 112423

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached single-bay two-storey gable-fronted rubble stone Methodist church with half-attic, c.1810, with three-bay two-storey side elevations to east and to west. Extended, 1884, comprising two-bay three-storey lower residential block to north. Subsequently in use as offices for Order of Malta. Now in use as hall. Pitched slate roof to original block with clay ridge tiles, red brick and rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Hipped slate roof to additional block with rolled lead ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Random squared rubble stone walls to original block with dressed limestone quoins to corners. Unpainted replacement rendered wall, 1884, to north elevation. Unpainted rendered, ruled and lined walls to additional block. Shallow segmental-headed window openings to original block with stone sills, red brick dressings, and fixed-pane timber windows. Square- and shallow segmental-headed window openings to additional block with stone sills. 1/1 timber sash windows with 1/2 timber sash windows to segmental-headed openings having horizontal bias. Round-headed door opening with timber panelled double doors, and sidelights having entablature over on consoles, and segmental pediment to overpanel with date stone. Set back from road in own grounds with limestone flagged forecourt to front.


An attractive building of two periods, the original portion of which is of significance as the earliest-surviving Methodist church in the locality, attesting to the once-thriving Methodist population in Waterford City. Subsequently accommodating a variety of alternative uses, the building nevertheless retains its original form and character. The additional block is distinguished by the presence of an attractive doorcase, which is of some artistic or design merit. Set well back from the line of the road, the building remains a discreet and important component of the architectural heritage of the area.