Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1750 - 1790
End-of-terrace two-bay four-storey house with dormer attic, c.1770. Extended, c.1970, comprising two-bay four-storey flat-roofed return to south. Renovated and refenestrated, c.1995, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now in use as apartments to upper floors. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) slate roof behind parapet with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods having cast-iron protective railings to side (west) elevation. Flat felt roof to return with timber eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined wall to front (north) elevation with moulded rendered cornice, and cut-stone coping to parapet. Unpainted replacement cement rendered walls, c.1970, to remainder. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1995. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1995, to ground floor with pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, glazed timber door, and timber fascia over having consoles and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
An attractive, substantial house of balanced proportions, built as one of a pair, which retains much of its original form to the front (north) elevation. However, the inappropriate replacement fenestration has not had a positive impact on the external appearance of the house. The house, together with the second in the pair (22504110/WD-5632-22-113), remains an important component of the streetscape of Parade Quay, contributing to the historic character of the street.