Categories of Special Interest
1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.1800. Renovated and refenestrated, c.1875, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. One of a terrace of three. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoined pier. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills. Replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1875. Rendered Doric shopfront, c.1875, to ground floor with fixed-pane timber display window, timber panelled and glazed timber door with decorative leaded overlight, and timber fascia over with consoles. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house, built as one of a terrace of three identical houses, is a well-proportioned substantial composition that retains much of its early form and character. The house is distinguished by the rendered Doric shopfront, which is of some artistic merit and which incorporates and attractive overlight to one door opening. The house, together with the remainder of the terrace (22504107 - 8/WD-5632-22-116 - 115), is an important component of the townscape, contributing to the historic character of Parade Quay.