Categories of Special Interest
1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.1800. Extensively renovated, c.1975, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. One of a terrace of three. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills. Replacement timber casement windows, c.1975. Replacement aluminium shopfront, c.1975, to ground floor with fixed-pane display window, glazed aluminium door having overlight, and fascia over. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house, built as one of a terrace of three identical houses, is a well-proportioned substantial composition that retains most of its original from. However, extensive renovation works in the late twentieth century have led to the loss of most of the original fabric, while a replacement shopfront is of little inherent artistic design interest. Nevertheless, the house, together with the remainder in the terrace (22504107, 9/WD-5632-22-116, 114), is an important component of the townscape, contributing to the historic character of Parade Quay.