Categories of Special Interest
1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.1800. Renovated and refenestrated, c.1875, with pair of single-bay single-storey box oriel windows added to first floor. Renovated and part refenestrated, c.2000, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. One of a terrace of three. Hipped and pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered channelled piers. Square-headed window openings (including to box oriel windows, c.1875, to first floor) with rendered sills. Replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1875, with replacement uPVC casement windows, c.2000, to second floor. Square-headed door opening with timber fluted pilaster surround, replacement timber panelled door, c.1875, and overlight. Replacement shopfront, c.2000, to ground floor with fixed-pane timber display windows, glazed timber door, and iron box fascia over. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house, built as one of a terrace of three identical houses, is a well-proportioned substantial composition that retains much of its early form and character. The house is distinguished by the presence of the later box oriel windows, a rare feature in the streetscape of the quays. Inappropriate replacement fenestration to one floor, and the insertion of a shopfront of minimal design merit, have begun to detract from the visual appeal of the building. The house, together with the remainder of the terrace (22504108 - 9/WD-5632-22-115 - 114), is an important component of the townscape, contributing to the historic character of Parade Quay.