Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay five-storey house with dormer attic, c.1800. Renovated, c.1900, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Refenestrated, c.2000. One of a terrace of three. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, square rooflight, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.2000. Timber shopfront, c.1900, to ground floor with inscribed pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, timber panelled and glazed timber double doors with overlights, and timber fascia over on decorative iron course with consoles and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house, built as one of a terrace of three identical houses (including 22504074, 700/WD-5632-22-73, 700), is an attractive and well-proportioned substantial building of pronounced vertical massing. The house retains its original form, although replacement fittings to the openings using inappropriate modern materials have not had a positive impact on the appearance of the design. Of artistic merit is the early-surviving shopfront, which incorporates discreet cast-iron panels. The house, together with the remainder of the terrace, forms an important and imposing feature in the streetscape of The Parade, rising above the surrounding buildings.