Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Previous Name

Pope Brothers

Original Use



1775 - 1825


260953, 112453

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced nine-bay three-storey building, c.1800, probably originally three separate three-bay three-storey buildings retaining some original fenestration with series of three round-headed carriageways to ground floor. Renovated, c.1975, with carriageways converted to entrance bays to accommodate commercial use and one square-headed carriageway inserted to right ground floor. Reroofed and mostly refenestrated, c.2000. Now disused. Pitched roof with replacement artificial slate, c.2000, clay ridge tiles, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.2000, on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered channelled pier to one end. Square-headed window openings (some in bipartite arrangement) with shallow segmental-headed window openings to right first floor having stone sills. Fixed-pane timber windows to bipartite openings with replacement uPVC casement windows, c.2000, to remainder. Series of three elliptical-headed carriageways with cut-stone surrounds (one inscribed) having keystones. Replacement fixed-pane timber windows, c.1975, with one having replacement glazed timber double doors, c.1975. Square-headed carriageway, c.1970, to right ground floor with rendered surround, and iron grille door. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled pedestrianised street to front.


This building, probably originally three separate units with an industrial purpose, retains much of its original form despite renovations over the course of the late twentieth century that have led to the loss of most of the original fabric. The building forms an extensive feature in the streetscape of Henrietta Street, and contributes to the historic character of the street.