Categories of Special Interest
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.1850, retaining early fenestration. Renovated, c.1900, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Renovated, c.1975. Now disused. One of a terrace of three. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, and replacement aluminium rainwater goods, c.1975, on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoins. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and 1/1 timber sash windows. Timber shopfront, c.1900, to ground floor with replacement fixed-pane timber display window, c.1975, glazed timber door with overlight, and timber fascia over with cornice. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
This house, built as one of a terrace of three identical houses, although now disused, retains most of its original form and character. The house retains many important early or original salient features and materials, and it is possible that the interior also incorporates early fittings of significance. The house, together with the remainder of the terrace (22501069 - 70/WD-5632-21-69 - 70), is an important component of the streetscape, continuing the established streetline and roofline of Gladstone Street.