Categories of Special Interest
1910 - 1920
Attached three-bay two-storey school hall, built 1915, on a corner site retaining original aspect with five-bay two-storey side elevation to north. Now disused. Hipped slate roof with clay ridge tiles, yellow brick Common (sixth course headers) bond chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Round- and square-headed window openings (some paired to side (north) elevation) with stone sills. 1/1 and 2/2 timber sash windows with overlights to round-headed openings. Round-headed door opening with rendered pilaster doorcase having frieze with raised lettering, moulded pediment over with cross finial, timber panelled double doors and overlight. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete footpath to front, and section of wrought iron railings along side (north) elevation having trident spike finials.
This building is an attractive and substantial composition of graceful proportions that, despite currently being disused, remains in very good condition. The building retains its original form and character, together with important original salient features and materials that contribute to the character of the site. The building is a prominent feature of the streetscape, and forms an important corner site linking Stephen's Street with Alexander Street.