Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Archaeological Historical Social
In Use As
1690 - 1695
Detached four-bay two-storey rubble stone malt house, dated 1691. Subsequently in residential use for retired seamen. Extensively renovated, 1991, to accommodate use as apartments. Pitched roof with replacement artificial slate, 1991, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, sproketed eaves, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, 1991, on red brick eaves. Random rubble stone walls (possibly originally rendered) repointed, 1991, with sections of replacement red brick, 1991, to window openings, red brick course to eaves, and unpainted replacement cement render to gables. Cut-stone date stone/plaque, 1991. Square-headed window openings with replacement concrete sills, 1991, and rendered surrounds. Replacement uPVC casement windows, 1991. Square-headed door openings (including one to first floor approached by flight of steps) with replacement timber panelled doors, 1991, and sidelights. Road fronted perpendicular to road with side (north) elevation fronting on to road.
This building, originally built as a malt house, is of considerable significance for its age, dating to pre-1700, and for its subsequent use as a retirement home. Although extensively renovated leading to the loss of most of the original fabric, the building retains some of its original form, including a steeply pitched roof that forms a landmark in the streetscape of Bachelor's Walk.