Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
1780 - 1800
Detached eight-bay two-storey Quaker meeting house, c.1790. Extensively renovated, c.1990, to accommodate use as arts centre and theatre. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Unpainted replacement rendered walls, c.1990. Shallow segmental-headed window openings with rendered sills and surrounds. Replacement 4/8 and 8/8 timber sash windows, c.1990. Round-headed door opening approached by flight of three concrete steps with rendered surround, timber panelled double doors, and spoked fanlight. Set back from road in own grounds with gravel forecourt to front and rear (south-west) elevation fronting on to road.
This building, originally built as a meeting house, is of considerable significance as a reminder of the Quaker community in Waterford in the late eighteenth century. Extensively renovated to accommodate its present use, the building nevertheless retains its original form, while replacement fittings have been installed in keeping with the integrity of the original design.