Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1800
Terraced three-bay three-storey house, c.1790. Renovated and refenestrated, c.1915, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Extensively renovated, c.1990. Now in use as offices. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1990, concrete ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and replacement iron rainwater goods, c.1990, on rendered eaves. Unpainted replacement sand and cement rendered, ruled and lined walls, c.1990. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. Replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1915. Timber shopfront, c.1915, to ground floor with panelled pilasters, replacement fixed-pane timber display window, c.1990, timber panelled door, and timber fascia over with moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete flagged footpath to front.
This house, despite renovations in the late twentieth century that have led to the loss of a considerable amount of the original fabric, retains its original balanced form, together with some important early surviving features and materials. Of particular interest is the timber shopfront, which is of some artistic design quality. The house remains an important feature of the streetscape, contributing to the historic character of O'Connell Street.