Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement red brick house, c.1810, retaining most original fenestration. Part refenestrated, c.1985. Now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof behind parapet with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted red brick Flemish bond walls with rendered coping to parapet. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. 6/6 and 9/6 timber sash windows with replacement timber casement windows, c.1985, to top floor. Round-headed door opening approached by flight of three cut-stone steps with rendered pilaster surround having moulded archivolt, Ionic doorcase, timber panelled door, and decorative fanlight. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house is an attractive building of balanced Georgian proportions that retains its original form and most of its original character. The house retains many important salient features and materials, including an attractive doorcase incorporating a delicate fanlight. However, the application of paint to the red brick façade has masked a distinguishing characteristic of the piece. The house is an important component of the streetscape of O'Connell Street, contributing to the historic character of the street.