Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1895 - 1900
Terraced three-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, built 1898, retaining original fenestration. Renovated, c.1995, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now in commercial use to upper floors. Mansard slate roof with clay ridge tiles, red brick chimney stacks, barrel felt roofs to dormer attic windows, carved timber bargeboards, and cast-iron rainwater goods on moulded rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls with moulded rendered dressings including pilaster strips to each floor, moulded courses, and moulded cornice to eaves on consoles with decorative end stops. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills (forming sill courses), moulded rendered surrounds in shallow segmental form with keystones and colonettes to first floor. 1/1 timber sash windows. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1995, to ground floor with polished pink granite pilasters having Composite capitals, fixed-pane timber display windows, glazed timber panelled double doors and timber fascia over with decorative consoles and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This building, purpose-built to accommodate commercial use to ground floor with residential accommodation over, has been well maintained to present an early aspect to the exterior, although much of the interior has been extensively remodelled leading to the loss of most of the original form to that space. The building retains important salient features and materials to the upper floors, while the shopfront may incorporate fabric of an earlier or original model, including the pilasters and capitals. The building is distinguished by the fine rendered detailing throughout, which attests to high quality local craftsmanship. The building is an important component of the streetscape of Broad Street, and is identified by its balanced proportions and massing, rising above the surrounding buildings.