1920 - 1930
Terraced three-bay two-storey flat-roofed Art Deco building, c.1925, on a corner site with seven-bay two-storey side elevation to north. Extensively renovated, c.2000, with replacement wrap-around shopfront inserted to ground floor incorporating fabric of original shopfront, c.1925. Flat concrete roof not visible behind parapet. Glazed terracotta-clad walls with Classical-style detailing including pilasters to first floor having recessed flanking piers with Acanthus motifs, moulded course, frieze, Fret-detailed cornice, and blocking course to parapet having shallow pedimented panel to centre of each elevation with urn and foliate detailing. Square-headed window openings with moulded glazed terracotta sills forming sill course/cornice, and replacement uPVC casement windows, c.2000. Replacement polished marble-clad wrap-around shopfront, c.2000, to ground floor incorporating fabric of original shopfront, c.1925, with frame-less display windows, glazed double doors, and fascia over having decorative glazed terracotta consoles and moulded cornice. Square-headed door opening to side (north) elevation with moulded glazed terracotta-clad surround, and timber panelled double doors. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A well-composed building occupying an important corner site in the centre of Waterford City, contributing to the diversity of the streetscape. The building is distinguished in the townscape by the reserved Art Deco external treatment, while the fine terracotta detailing enhances the architectural and artistic qualities of the composition. However, a replacement shopfront of little inherent design merit, together with inappropriate replacement fittings to the window openings, have not had a positive impact on the external expression of the building.