Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced three-bay four-storey red brick house, c.1800. Refenestrated, c.1875. Renovated, c.1975, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now disused to ground floor with upper floors now in commercial use. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted red brick Flemish bond wall to front (east) elevation. Unpainted rendered walls to remainder. Shallow segmental-headed window openings with stone sills. Replacement 2/2 timber sash windows, c.1875. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1975, to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows, timber panelled and glazed timber doors with timber fascia over having consoles. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house is an attractive composition of balanced proportions that is distinguished in the streetscape of Michael Street through its massing, construction in brick, and the profile of the openings. Reasonably well maintained, the house retains important salient features and materials to the upper floors, although the treatment to the brick has erased the polychromatic tone of the composition. The replacement shopfront to the ground floor is of little artistic design distinction and does not enhance the appearance of the house at street level.