Categories of Special Interest
1850 - 1890
Terraced three-bay three-storey building, c.1870, on a corner site retaining original fenestration with shopfront to ground floor, single-bay three-storey canted entrance bay to corner, and two-bay three-storey return to west. Renovated, c.1970. Pitched slate roof on a cranked L-shaped plan behind parapet with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Unpainted rendered walls with rendered channelled piers, stringcourse to parapet, and rendered coping. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills and surrounds. 1/1 timber sash windows. Square-headed openings to ground floor with replacement fixed-pane timber display windows, c.1970, glazed timber door, replacement timber fascia, c.1970, over, and original rendered fascia having panels and moulded rendered cornice. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This building, purpose-built to accommodate commercial use to ground floor with residential accommodation over, is an attractive composition that has been well planned to take advantage of a prominent corner site. Well maintained, the building retains its original form and most of its original character, together with important salient features and materials. The replacement fascia, however, does not complement the appearance of the scheme.