Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1820, with shared square-headed pedestrian way to right ground floor. Renovated and refenestrated, c.1870, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now disused. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.1995, on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. Replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1870. Square-headed (shared) pedestrian way to right ground floor with timber boarded door. Timber shopfront, c.1870, to ground floor with fluted pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, glazed timber door with overlight, and timber fascia over with moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house, built as one of a pair, is an important middle-size composition of balanced proportions that retains its original form and early character. The house incorporates an important early-surviving timber shopfront of artistic significance. The house, together with the second in the pair (22501331/WD-5632-21-343), is an attractive feature in the streetscape of John Street, and contributes to the historic fabric of the street.