Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1820
Terraced three-bay four-storey house, c.1815. Refenestrated, c.1865. Renovated and part refenestrated, c.1990, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, and iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered channelled piers. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and inscribed hood mouldings with keystones to first floor. Replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1865, to second and to top floor having margins. Replacement timber casement windows, c.1990, to first floor. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1990, to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, timber panelled doors with overlights, and timber fascia over. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house is an attractive and well-proportioned building that has been reasonably well maintained, retaining the original form to the upper floors, together with important early salient features and materials. The inscribed detailing to the openings to the first floor is also a feature of note. The house is an attractive feature in the streetscape of John Street, contributing to the varied roofline of the street.