Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1820
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.1815. Extensively renovated, c.1990, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1990, clay ridge tiles, rendered and red brick Running bond (shared) chimney stacks, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.1990, on rendered eaves retaining sections of early cast-iron downpipe. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered channelled pier. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1990, to ground floor with fixed-pane timber display window, glazed timber and timber panelled doors with overlights, and fascia over having coping. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house, built as one of a pair, is an attractive, substantial composition of balanced proportions. However, extensive renovation works in the late twentieth century have led to the loss of most of the historic fabric, which has not had a positive impact on the external expression of the house. Nevertheless, the house, together with the second in the pair (22501321/WD-5632-21-333), remains an important component of the streetscape of John Street, the tall slender massing identifying the houses in the street.